Juventus youngster Matias Soulé has, on Friday, confirmed his intention to commit to the Argentine national team.
The subject of wide-man Soulé’s future at international level has of course reemerged as a major talking point across the early weeks of the season to date.
This comes with the 20-year-old in the midst of a stellar loan stint on the books of Frosinone, which has seen him rack up five goals and an assist across eight Serie A appearances.
Fans of both Italy and Argentina, in turn, have called for their respective federations to do everything within their power to secure Soulé’s commitment at senior level, with the player having previously having been called by to the Albiceleste.
This comes with the attacker eligible to line out for both countries. Having kept his cards relatively close to his chest thus far when it comes to his international future, the subject of the Argentine-Italian tug-of-war over his talents was therefore put to Soulé once more on Friday.
On this occasion, though, the starlet confirmed that he has come to a definitive decision.
In something of a blow for Italy, Soulé, during an interview with Sport Mediaset, revealed that he has informed Azzurri boss Luciano Spalletti of his intention to line out for Argentina, the country of his ‘heart’.
“I have talked to Spalletti, I told him the truth — Italy want to call me up but reality is that I feel Argentinian. I thanked him because he wanted me but I’m waiting for Argentina, my heart always tells me Argentina.”
🇦🇷 Juventus talent Matias Soulé: “I have talked to Spalletti, I told him the truth — Italy want to call me up but reality is that I feel Argentinian”.
“I thanked him because he wanted me but I’m waiting for Argentina, my heart always tells me Argentina”, he told Mediaset. pic.twitter.com/hyNe9bVBgI
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) November 3, 2023
Conor Laird | GIFN