Kickoff: We’re underway!
One hour until kickoff: Looks like it happened. Joshua Kimmich has officially been benched by Julian Nagelsmann, despite the former being a mainstay when he was in charge of Bayern Munich. As far as changes from the Turkey game are concerned, Leon Goretzka, Serge Gnabry, and Mats Hummels have been added to the lineup. Oh, and Kai Havertz remains at left-back.
After a dismal calendar year that saw the first ever sacking of a national team coach, Germany have the chance to end 2023 with a win. Unfortunately, Julian Nagelsmann has hit his first speed bump since taking over the national team, suffering a shock defeat to Turkey. The former Bayern Munich coach needs to rally his troops and make sure they come away with something positive in Vienna, or else the trajectory before Euro 2024 looks rather dismal for the Germans.
He still has the squad behind him, which means the services of top talent like Leroy Sané, İlkay Gündoğan, Florian Wirtz, and the rest. Now all that’s missing is the tactics, the quality, the luck, the drive, and the desire to win. Basically everything, really. How will he get his team back on track?
Location: Ernst Happel stadium, Vienna, Austria.
Time: 8:45 pm local time, 2:45 pm EST
TV/streaming: Find Your Country
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself! We’re
mostlyvery friendly! Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- If the comments section starts to slow down for you, just hit the refresh button and keep commenting. It’s not necessary to have the whole comments loaded at one time while you’re just casually following along.
- Keep the sorting to “newest” to easily follow the conversation. It puts the newest comments at the top.
- Here at BFW we celebrate every goal like they do in the stadium: with a chant. The goal chants are for everyone to participate in! Even if you’re lagging behind the others, keep replying to the most recent call of the player’s name. Even if you missed the first call, just start from the second, and so on.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities. Racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language is not allowed whatsoever.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news, podcasts or something completely different, we have it all.